MBK chairman makes donation to promote Korean art at New York's Met
简介Seoul-based private equity firm MBK Partners Founder and Chairman Michael Byung-ju Kim has offered a ...
Seoul-based private equity firm MBK Partners Founder and Chairman Michael Byung-ju Kim has offered a donation to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York to promote Korean art in the museum, the firm said Tuesday.
The donation is part of the Korean Art Initiatives project, which was devised to honor the 25th anniversary of the Arts of Korea gallery at the museum, along with the Korea Foundation and the Samsung Foundation of Culture.
Scholarships and educational programs will help to bolster the presentation of Korean art at the museum. Michael Byung-ju Kim’s donation, in particular, will be used to purchase and collect Korean art to be displayed at the museum.
Thanks to major support through the project, the Met also established a new curatorship for Korean art last month. Eleanor Soo-ah Hyun, who currently serves as associate curator for Korean art at the Met, will be the first recipient of the position endowed by the Korea Foundation and the Samsung Foundation of Culture.
Kim’s latest contribution follows the previous year's $10 million donation for the renovation work of the Met’s new wing for modern and contemporary art. He has also served as an elective trustee at the New York-based museum since 2017.
“I’m honored to support such a world-class collection of Korean art at the Met, sharing them with the global audience,” said Kim.
“We express our utmost gratitude to Michael B. Kim and his wife Park Kyung-ah for their generosity, which will enrich the Museum’s Korean art collection,” said Max Hollein, CEO of the Met, in a statement.
Since 1998, the Met has presented Korea’s artistic and cultural heritage by opening an individual gallery for Korean arts. Commemorating the 25th anniversary of the gallery, the Museum will open the “Lineages: Korean Art at The Met” exhibition this fall, displaying the juxtaposition of historic and contemporary Korean artwork.
The South Korean military has assessed that the fighting doctrine and tactics utilized by Hamas migh ...
For the first time in a decade, Seoul citizens will witness a large-scale military parade, with tank ...
South Korea’s Supreme Court faces an unusual vacancy for the first time in 30 years as the National ...
Biden says Hamas must be eliminated, US officials warn war could escalate
민주당 새 원내대표에 친명 홍익표 “이재명과 총선 승리”
S. Korea holds rare military parade, warns NK against nuclear attack
Scholarships to begin in October for Ukrainian students in S. Korea
Over 1,300 rescue workers still traumatized by Itaewon Halloween tragedy
XG storms back with 'New DNA'
- Yoon's approval rating at 34.2% with parliamentary elections 6 months away
- Science minister welcomes HIT forum on space economy
- More webtoon
- 강서구청장 12시 투표율 11.4%…직전 지선보다 2.9%p 낮아
- [HIT Forum] High schooler shares his space dream
- 윤 대통령 “중동 리스크 대응, 민생에 전력 다해야”
- [New on scene] Kim Chang
- 민주당 개표 초반부터 환호성…김태우 캠프엔 적막 가득했다
- Half of Loona restarts as quintet Loossemble
- 판 커진 구청장 선거…민주당 크게 이겼다
- [From the scene] Eye
- 김건희 여사, 광주디자인비엔날레 찾아 “문화예술계 육성 의지”
- 33년 경찰 경력 내세워…“안심구청장 누구입니까”
- Four days of jazz festivities take over Jara Island
- [Korean History] 2002, when Korea soared through World Cup
- Daegu’s iconic opera festival set to attract operagoers with five tragic operas
- Hamas surprise attack out of Gaza leaves hundreds dead in fighting, retaliation
- 'No Japan?' Korea swings from extreme rejection to selective embrace
- Samsung, LG, Hyundai closely monitoring potential biz fallout from Israel
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains; Israel