Foreigners ditch sluggish Korean stocks
简介Foreign investors dumped more than 6 trillion won ($4.44 billion) worth of shares listed on Kospi, K ...
Foreign investors dumped more than 6 trillion won ($4.44 billion) worth of shares listed on Kospi, Korea’s main bourse, in the past three months amid the slow stock market, data from the Korea Exchange showed Sunday.
Non-Korean investors’ net buying on Kospi this year dropped to 7.23 trillion won on Friday after reaching the peak at 14.06 trillion won on June 16. The offloaded shares in the past three months -- worth 6.73 trillion won -- mean foreigners have sold nearly half of their purchases made earlier this year.
Overseas investors have been on a selling streak for the 11th consecutive trading day, from Sept. 18 to Friday, the longest period seen in a year since September 2022. If the selling move continues Tuesday, the first trading day after the Hangeul Day holiday, it will be the longest streak in 16 years.
Top sold shares for foreign investors were secondary battery-related stocks as the investment boom led by retail investors eased out, including Posco Holdings (5.38 trillion won), LG Chem (1.45 trillion won), LG Energy Solution (942 billion won), Samsung SDI (720 billion won), SK Innovation (287 billon won) and Posco Future M (281 billion won).
The massive sell-offs come on the back of US Treasury yields hitting a decades-high. The mounting expectations on the US Federal Reserve continuing its aggressive monetary tightening policy have lead to an outflow of foreign funds.
With foreign investors leaving the market and a weaker investment sentiment, the local stock market has been sluggish. Kospi, which had stayed in the 2,500-2,600 box in the second half of this year, closed at 2,408.73 points on Friday, unable to recover to the 2,500-point range since Sept. 25.
This contrasts to foreign investors' massive buying spree in the first half of this year, net buying shares worth 12.31 trillion won in the first six months of 2023.
Though the selling splurge threatens the local stock market, market watchers expect overseas investors to return to Korean stocks in the near future as recent economic indicators are likely to signal a recovery.
The US' Consumer Price Index for September on Thursday is expected to show the first decline in the year-over-year rate in three months, which could indicate a retreat of inflation.
“Foreign investors are the second largest entity on the local stock market, following retail investors. They are a key player that leads the Kospi market," analyst Kang Jin-hyeok from Eugene Investment & Securities assessed.
“Considering the recent slowdown in the US economy and stabilization efforts from the Bank of Korea, an inflow of foreign investment is likely to happen in the fourth quarter or next year when Korea’s exports recover,” Kang explained.
이준석 전 국민의힘 대표가 16일 서울 강서구청장 보궐선거 참패와 관련해 윤석열 대통령과 여당에 변화와 쇄신을 촉구하며 눈물을 흘렸다.이 전 대표는 이날 국회 소통관에서 기자회견을 ...
The Financial Supervisory Service, South Korea's primary financial regulatory body, has issued ...
김정은 북한 국무위원장이 13일 러시아 보스토치니 우주기지에서 블라디미르 푸틴 대통령과 정상회담, 연회 등 일정을 진행한 뒤 다음 방문지를 향해 떠났다고 노동당 기관지 노동신문이 ...
김성원 여의도연구원장 "공천장사 지라시, 허위사실 유포로 고소"
합의문도 없는 희한한 북·러 정상회담…결국 비즈니스 관계였나
한동훈, 체포안 설명 8분 넘기자…“짧게 합시다” “왜 이리 시끄럽냐”
FSS issues advisories to fisheries cooperatives federation for W50b investment loss
[Herald Interview] Netflix's ‘Devil’s Plan’ expands realm of survival game shows
"KTX 꼭 타보고 싶다" 했던 김정은 "만족한 합의"…뭐길래
- SPAF kicks off with boundary
- Subway fare in greater Seoul rises to 1,400 won
- Asiana may ditch cargo business to close Korean Air merger deal
- [Today’s K
- Voter interest reaches all
- 北, 러 주최 국제포럼서 '국제수송' 논의…무기거래 우회로 찾나
- S. Korea beats Chinese Taipei for 4th straight baseball gold
- [Hello Hangeul] Korean language instructors' working conditions remain subpar
- Elevate fall travel experiences with local specialties
- TvN’s ‘Unexpected Business’ to return with season 3
- Over 90% of fines for illegal short selling imposed on foreign firms
- BTS Jungkook's star
- 'Scent of Ink' to be performed at Kennedy Center in Washington
- S. Korea, UAE strike bilateral free trade agreement
- [Coffee Klatch] Take a sip of Turkish coffee in Seoul
- "당 망치는 응석받이"…안철수, 이준석 제명 서명운동 시작
- TXT shatters records, tops charts with 3rd LP
- 공군 수송기 급파, 한·일 220명 텔아비브 탈출
- [New on scene] Hong Xa
- FSC lays out plan to boost pet insurance enrollment
- 김웅 "국민은 바꾸라는데 단결만 얘기…의총 뭐하러 하느냐"